9 Interesting Facts About Your Healthy Brain
For us to maintain a healthy brain is important in our life. If we take the best care of the brain and other parts of our body, they should serve us to have a good life for a long time. You will surprised what our brain is capable of. It is complex and not quite understood by many people.
The brain is the most important organ in our body. It makes everything in our body work properly. Without the brain, our body may be still alive. But, we cannot truly live as a person. So, it is utmost important to have a healthy brain. Below are the 9 Interesting Facts about Healthy Brain.
1. Oxygen is vital to our brain. Your brain needs huge amount of oxygen to live. Although your brain only occupies two percent of the total weight of your body. It requires twenty percent of the oxygen and calories from your body.
As for an adult human, the brain weights between 1300 grams to 1400 grams. The weight of our brain is little compared to the weight of our body.
But, it is the most critical organ for us to live as a person. So, you should get more fresh air whenever you can. It is good for a healthy brain.
2. The brain controls every part in our body. The information travels at different speeds in the brain. The neurons built with different functions to serve our brain. The communication between the brain and these neurons are travelling at different speeds. So, you will find why sometimes you are able to recall information in an instant. But, sometimes you will need a little longer.
There are three major classes of neurons. A) The Sensory neurons are for odor, sound, vision, taste, touch, etc. B) The Inter-neurons are neurons located between our brain and spinal cord. C) The Motor neurons: It is to send impulses from our central nervous system to glands and muscles.
3. Water is an essential element in our life. Our body weight contains about 50 to 60% is water. But, the brain controls every part in our body. Its weight contains 80% water. That is why you should always maintain your body be “hydrated” at all times.
Food can only provide 20% of the fluid we required. People with more muscle will need more water than normal people. It takes only 2% dehydration will start to affecting your brain. So, whenever possible, you should keep yourself “hydrated”. Water’s indeed vital for your healthy brain.
4. Brain has great capacity. It can store everything. Theoretically, our brain can store everything we experience, read, hear or see. But, to recall is another issue. How much information you can access from your brain is depend on how healthy is your brain.
Our brain is simply like a computer. It’s made up of neurons that conduit electricity. The network of neurons makes up what we call a brain. The long-term memory is like our hard-disk drive to save information for future use. The short-term memory contains information like the RAM in our computer. The information is for temporary use.
5. There is a misconception that your brain is more active in the daytime than at night time. But, the reality is when your body is at rest, your brain is more active at certain stage. For humans, there are two main phases in your sleep.
A) Non-REM sleep: You experience it at most of your early sleep night. B) REM sleep: It is when you occupied by your dreams in the later part of the night. The Non-REM sleep period is for your brain to rest in the recovery.
Nowadays, new research has shown that brain is more active in the night time when you are dreaming.
6. Our brain has the ability to process pain signals. But, the brain physically does not feel the actual pain. Our nervous system has two main parts: namely the spinal cord and brain. They are the central nervous system in our body.
The peripheral nervous system made up of the motor nerves and sensory. They distributed in all different areas of our body to carry out their own duties. The brain requires them to send and acknowledge the pain information. Then, the brain will decide on what are the required actions.
7. Do you believe that a person with higher IQ will have more dreams? That means a smarter person will dream more than an ordinary person. A high IQ can help to fight mental illness. Or a high IQ has the ability to lessen the severity of the disorders. These disorders are such as schizophrenia and depression.
Some people do believe that they are smarter in their dreams than in the daytime. So, if you have more dreams in your sleep, that means you have higher IQ… Smarter person.
8. Will 10 watts of power, enough for your brain to operate? You will surprised only need around 10 watts. For the astonishing computation and processing power of your brain to operate. You may ask how much calories is equal to 10 watts. The formula is 10 watts equal 207 kcal/day for your brain.
Normally, for someone having around 207 Kilo calories. That is enough energy to support a small brain of about 1000 grams. So, for an average size adult human brain of between 1300 to 1400 grams. You would need around 250 to 300 kcal/day. This required amount of energy is still considered low for what your brain can perform for you.
9. When you are growing up, your brain will change shape. It will not fully developed until you are over 18 years old. Since the part of your brain that regulates reasoning and logic develop first. The other part which regulates emotions and impulse develop later.
The changes in your teenage years are not only you change your feeling. The structure of your brain has also changed slowly during the teen years. This change is even affecting your “risky behaviour” and impulsive towards life.
After you have read the above interesting facts about your brain, you will realize how important it is to maintain a healthy brain. Your brain controls every part of your body. For it to operate efficiently, it needs oxygen, water and nutrients as energy to work hard for you.
Brain has great capacity for us to remember things in the long-term and the short-term. If we do not have a healthy brain, no matter how healthy our body may be. We cannot truly live as a person.
Also, for those functions like breathing, blinking, and digesting, etc… We have taken them for granted. They will not work properly without a good healthy brain.
So, please remember, do whatever you can find ways to maintain a healthy brain.